If you are worried about it, turn it up to 140 for an hour or two a week, then back down to 120. are the main culprits. Bacteria loves warm-hot conditions and can quickly multiple. The gas water heater pilot light or main burner can ignite ... is a local code or state law requiring a certain temperature water at the hot water tap, then you must take special precau-tions. Most hot water heaters have a A-B-C knob. Your water heater accounts for about 18 percent of your home’s energy bill. Apparently the.water got too hot on high and the relief valve went off. If you have already set the temperature and are saying to yourself, “I have no hot water” or not enough of it, there are a few factors that may be affecting the heat. You drink cold water anyway. Use code LOWEST by Dec. 19 to start saving. Join our Friendship Rewards program, where you can earn $50 gift cards for each new customer you refer. Don’t set your water heater to anything below 120 degrees, as diseases can develop in the stagnant water inside the water heater, particularly Legionella, which is … Sign up for SCANA Energy and receive the LOWEST price for two winters: 32.9¢/therm. Sure, it’s still possible to get Legionnaires but most people (~95%) are resistant. Insert your cooking thermometer, and then adjust the settings as desired. Keep in mind that the thermostat is factory preset to a recommended temperature and changing the setting may increase the potential for serious burns. Check the temperature of the water exiting your faucets. Whether you have a gas or electric water heater, the default temperature set from the factory will be between 120ºF to 140ºF. The gas water heater pilot light or main burner can ignite ... is a local code or state law requiring a certain temperature water at the hot water tap, then you must take special precau-tions. Thats why the blue/red plastic color markers are are on the tank! Remove the access panels. And like another commenter said, we drink the cold water anyway. But finding that setting on the water heater temperature setting dial isn’t easy, because most dials aren’t labeled with numbers. Most water heaters do not have a temperature gauge with a readout. If the water is above 120 degrees, adjust the dial, wait about three hours and check again. How should this be addressed? Place a thermometer in a glass of hot water, ours reads 130 degrees recommended for baths, dishwashers. 1- Temperature setting is at B, but water temperature is over 160. Measure the beginning temperature of your hot water using a thermometer at the tap farthest from the water heater. What Temperature Should a Hot Water Heater Be Set At? Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Adjusting a Gas Water Heater Consider whether your water temperature is in need of adjusting. Want to speak with someone? There have been people claiming the maximum allowable storage temperature or thermostat setting on a water heater is 120°F). It could literally be a potential life saver. Most gas control valves have a knob with various labels such as A-B-C on them. It allows me to keep my water heater at 140 degrees but will mix the water exiting the tank with cold water so that my hot water can be delivered to my tap at 120 degrees to prevent scalding. Day and night, your water heater tank is working to keep your water warm and your family happy. Personally, I believe a water heater should be. There have been claims the maximum temperature is 125°F based on the scalding temperature labels on the outside of most water heaters. The water was 2 3/4″ up the tank. He would only get minimal hot water after a lengthy wait! You would need check state regulations. The main thing to worry about with your gas water heater thermostat is the temperature setting. DRIP FROM RELIEF VALVE: Excessive water pressure; Heater stacking; Use a pressure reducing valve and relief valve. They can be installed on new or existing water heaters. For your safety, Rinnai tankless water heaters come with a maximum temperature default setting of 120℉ to help prevent scalding. Gas and electric water heater temperatures are set at the factory, but can be adjusted for your own preferences with only a couple of tools. Water heaters are factory set at OSHA recommended levels, around 140 degrees. Here are some tips to save money on water heater usage but I’m guessing most of your gas bill is related to furnace/heat pump use to heat your home where other factors (windows, insulation, etc.) I can’t believe that I’m setting my water heater temperature too high for so many years without something needs to be fixed. That will kill off most of the bacteria. Adjust the temperature to its lowest setting and then run some hot water. Fuel sources can be propane, natural gas or electricity. It would be rare on a new water heater but that’s the first thing I’d check. On the other hand, the EPA suggests turning the thermostat down to 120 to reduce power consumption, and a booster heater to reach sanitizing temperatures at select outlets. Residential tank water heaters typically store between 20 and 80 gallons of hot water hot throughout, usually at the factory setting of 120°F. Using a straight screwdriver, adjust the thermostat control towards the desired temperature. For … Run hot water at the tap closest to the water heater for at least three minutes. Although I’ve done a lot of ground work/research … my questions are as follows: 1/ What temperature should the hot water for a building this size be set on? It also has the advantage of giving me the feeling of having a bigger water tank since less hot water is drawn out of the tank during its use. Learn more…, Low income or credit challenges? The bottom of a water heater tank is breeding ground for bacteria , especially the type that can cause Legionnaires’ disease. If it still comes out hot then that means that it is faulty and needs to be replaced. Turning it counterclockwise will decrease the temperature. Next, check the thermostats. Well, the EPA recommends a hot temperature setting of 120-degrees F for both safety and energy-saving purposes. Just because it starts as treated city water, doesn’t mean it will remain 100% safe (see Flint, Michigan). From what I’ve researched, my recommendation of setting the temp to 130 degrees may not kill Legionella bacteria as quickly as 140, but it should still do the job. For those that are really concerned about the bacteria, permanently setting the temp to between 140-150 AND adding a mixing valve (example) is the best solution. Different brands of gas water heater control valves may have different labels. Great question. There are several ways to save energy with our water heater. To accurately find the hot water heater temperature, you will need a cup and a cooking thermometer. The 120-degree setting is standard. When the dip tube pushes cold water to the bottom of the tank, the heating element begins to heat up that cold water. (I have pics of the thermastate). Mark the beginning temperature on your water heater thermostat with a marker, and then turn the thermostat down. Turn off the power to the water heater at the home’s circuit breaker panel. I have a new electric water heater. 120 isnt hot enough, 130 might be perfect, but i prefer 140. but i do a lot of baking and cooking and the high temp keeps me from constant concern about bacteria and makes clean up a relative cinch. before your move. 140 seems perfect for our needs. isn’t that the reason why the city treats water with chlorine and ammonia? *For further information regarding availability, please call 1-877-467-2262. dont get me wrong, it can get hot even for me. 2) Mark the setting, then turn down the thermostat. First, adjust the thermostat setting to lower the water temperature if the thermostat is set above 130 degrees. If you think you are having a problem with your gas valve, see the article, 'Troubleshooting Gas Valve Problems' for more information. Also, make sure elements working. In most cases, here’s what each label means: Sometimes there is a “Vacation” setting. The odds are low you would get sick from it but there’s been many reported cases. And the best part? 3) Measure and adjust. If you set it higher than this, the amount of gas used will increase, causing your gas bill to be higher. 120 degrees is sometimes labeled “Hot” or with a little triangle icon. Thanks for the simple, honest answer! It’s also _cold_, and does not present the fertile breeding environment that a nice comfortably warm “hot water” tank will provide. How Does the Gas Water Heater Timer Work? The tank booster you mentioned is a good solution to prevent scalding if setting the water heater temp higher as well as making hot water last longer. Once installed, it acts as a programmable setback controller. In this post, we’ll discuss the best temperature to set your thermostat in winter, … When the temperature finally drops to the point where we can turn on our heaters, remembering the most energy-efficient thermostat setting can be as perplexing as remembering why you walked into the room. Thank you for provided a wise, practical, “middle ground” solution. Appreciate the comment. Check make sure the 2 elements are set to same temp. 3/ Thru my research I’ve discovered that it is Hydrogen Sulfide. Here, the recommended setting of temperature which you should choose, is between around 115 degrees Fahrenheit and 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Commercial heaters generally go up to about 180 degrees but unless you’re operating a restaurant or other business, you’ll likely be close to the recommended temp for residential. Nearly every other article on the internet recommends either 120 degrees (to avoid scalding risk) or 140 degrees (to avoid Legionella risk), but offers no middle ground to address both issues. If all else fails, the heating element may be failing, and needs to be replaced. The arguments for 120°F temperature setting: If we set the water heater temperature at 120°F, we may get the following advantages as advice by the American Society of Sanitary Engineering – Helps to cut down bills. Clean Your Natural Gas Range in 10 Minutes or Less. Are your savings getting hotter – or is it just your water heater? If you don’t notice a difference in water temperature after adjusting the thermostat, it’s also possible you may have a faulty thermostat that needs replacing. Fill a glass and check the hot temperature. Replace the insulation and panels, then restore power. The culprit of the smell you’re experiencing is likely the anode rod but in some cases it may be incorrect venting in the sewer lines. Is there something we could do. Please help, Thank you. I do have one follow up question: What do you think of the recommendation some experts make to turn one’s hot water heater up periodically (perhaps a couple times a year) to 150 or 160 degrees to disinfect any lingering dangerous bacteria, then return to the normal temperature? Allow the water heater to sit for a minimum of one hour without using it, and then turn on the faucet closest to the water heater. This way the extra hot tank water is mixed with cold water right above the tank so you remove the chance of scalding at the faucet. Installed just over year ago in apartment complex, new one given me nothing but problems. Please someone tell me what is our problem with Reem 100 gallon commercial gas heater. I have a new water heater. The valve assembly features a dial which you can use to adjust the temperature. Either way, since it’s new, contact your installer or place of purchase since it will be under warranty. The Gas Water Heater Timer installs easily in place of your existing water heater “gas control nob”. Find the dial or thermostat for your water heater. On the other hand, the EPA suggests turning the thermostat down to 120 to reduce power consumption, and a booster heater to … It is estimated that the average water heater temperature is set to 130ºF in the United States.130ºF IS THE BEST TEMPERATURE TO SET YOUR WATER HEATER as it will reduce the risk of scalding while showering but also be hot enough to meet your dishwasher and … Also the floor under the container is wet and the heater has no feet. It is best not to deviate too far from that mark. What Is The Best Water Heater Temperature Setting? Step 1: Check you water heater temperature setting On your hot water heater there will be a knob on the gas valve or a thermostat (if electric) behind an electric water heater panel. Small bore pipes and long distances will require longer times for the hot water to reach the opening, for example, and pipes that run beneath or outside the home may be subject to winter or summer conditions. Know the Ideal Setting: The best setting for gas water heaters is around 115 to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. This does not heat water, but keeps the pilot light ignited. 140 Degrees Is Too High for Your Home Tankless Water Heater If you change the temperature setting to 120 degrees or at most 130 degrees, you’ll actually mix more hot water in when you’re talking a shower. With an old water heater, a broken dip tube is often the issue. He discussed EPA’s recommendation of setting our water heaters to 120 degrees. If your water heater is set too high, you will be paying the price in your energy bill each month. Locate the thermostat adjustment beneath the insulation. It should be approximately 120 degrees (or match the setting on your water heater thermostat). I agree….I just replaced the thermocouple in my water heater and changed the position in which the setting for the hot water temperature was set for a 110-115 F….now I have to readjust that setting, which I think is optimal: it is warm enough to wash away fats, and with the use of detergent, all the microorganisms should be removed. SLOW HOT WATER RECOVERY: Thermostat set too low; Heater too small; Turn temperature dial to higher setting; See Sizing Guides. Turn off the circuit breaker. TEMPERATURE REGULATION control has a tamper resistant feature for changing the temperature Due to the nature of the typical gas water heater, the water temperature setting. Home » Maintenance » What Is The Best Water Heater Temperature Setting? Adjusting a Gas Hot Water Heater Temperature Thermostat Setting. If you answered “yes” to either of these questions, you have your natural gas water heater to thank. I just found alot of water (2 bathtowels soaked it up) in the holding tin container that sits directly under the watwr heater. Allow the water to run for at least one minute to ensure the water is at the maximum temperature and then fill the cup. In the case of the video’s water heater, A, B and C each have an increase of about 10 degrees. Reading this made me think of a recent lecture I attended. Testing the thermostat on a gas water heater is much easier. The U.S. Department of Energy recommends setting a tank-based hot water heater to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Call 1-877-467-2262, Less than 3,000 therms per year? According to the U.S. Department of Energy, for each 10 degree reduction in water temperature, you can save between 3 and 5 … This temperature range is perfect for hydronic space heating. He stated that it should be set to a minimum of 140 degrees to limit growth of these pathogens. For gas water heaters, the gas valve controls the temperature. This thermostat is a valve in the shape of a dial. Select a location indoors as close as practical to the gas vent or chimney to which the water heater vent is going to be connected, and as centralized with the water … Tank style water heaters, by contrast, are quite happy taking in water of any temperature and putting out 120ºF to 140ºF without the need for a mixing valve. The recommended temperature setting is between 115 degrees and 120 degrees. If you have a large house, you may want to look into installing a hot water recirculation system which can mean less time to get hot water in all outlets of the house and well as substantial cost savings over time. Cooler temperatures mean warmer clothes, chilly nights and maybe even a fire in the fireplace. Although manufacturer's usually set water heaters at 140 degrees F, you can reduce your carbon footprint and save money by adjusting your water heater thermostat. Normally this cold water goes to the bottom of the tank via dip tube but if the tube is broken, the cold water would refill at the top which is where hot water is normally taken from. … At 130 degrees, any Legionellae would die within a few hours so if that’s the regular temp, there shouldn’t be a need to go any higher since as the risk is super low. Thank you for the article. Gas Water Heater. Your home water heater is responsible for storing and heating about 80 gallons of water at a time. You’ll be creating enough flow to kick that tankless water heater on and keep it on through your shower. If you think you are having a problem with your gas valve, see the article, 'Troubleshooting Gas Valve Problems' for more information. However, for the purposes of most households, there is no need for the temperature … This has never happened with this heater. Commercial applications are a bit different that residential. Knowing how to adjust the temperature can help protect your family, reduce your energy consumption and ultimately save you money. I live in a 22/unit Condo Association and about a year ago, we got a new hot water heater (Rheem-Ruud Universal Commercial Gas Water Heater). I solved that problem when I recently installed a new water heater in my home. Have you ever relaxed in a hot shower after a long day of work or soothed a sore throat with a warm cup of tea? The water heater thermostat is part of the gas valve. If the water temperature fluctuates but the pilot light is on, the gas valve assembly is probably at fault. I guess it’s one of those things everybody has to consider the slightly higher risk at a cost savings (and vice versa). Hot water heater settings are easy to adjust, although electric heaters will require a screwdriver and possibly a small wrench or socket. there is a lot of very interesting and well conceived information here. A water heater set to 120 degrees may be just fine for most people. The water heater thermostat is part of the gas valve. ), The highlighted counties are eligible for fixed rates, as certain rates are not available in all locations.*. The location of the dial will vary depending on the model and type of water heater. They are the most common way to heat water in the United States. But why overheat water and incur unnecessary energy losses only to make it cooler before using it? They cannot be replaced separately from the valve. He is currently involved in research at Virginia Tech on Opportunistic Premise Plumbing Pathogens. Here are some idea: Set the water heater to 120 degrees F. Lowering to this temperature is more practical and safe. Whether replacing an old water heater or putting the water heater in a new location, the following critical points must be observed: 1. (retail shop, etc. The highest will increase the temperature to above 160 degrees. 2/ Earlier this year, I started noticing a SMELL from the Hot Water (in the bathroom) and even noticed some health issues associated. If the thermostat isn't sending power to the heating element, replace the thermostat. It’s easy. What could be the cause of this? There have been claims the maximum temperature is 125°F based on the scalding temperature labels on the outside of most water heaters. According to Dr. Edwards, this is a very bad idea, as it produces the perfect environment for pathogens to grow and multiply in your water heater. It’s on warm. Sometimes, like when you’re heading on vacation or the weather warms up, you may need to adjust your water heater temperature setting. Setting the water heater in “vacation mode” is not the only way of saving. Usually, when you purchase your tankless water heater you will find that the manufacturer will already have set the thermostat at a temperature of 140 degrees Fahrenheit. From another point of view, lower temperatures are better for households with small children, while higher temperatures are more efficient at cleaning and sanitizing. Why the city treats water with chlorine and ammonia the 2 elements set... Little triangle icon, by following these simple steps, you have a gas or electric water to... And receive the lowest setting and then you only have a friend replaced. One minute to ensure the water will corrode the metal wrapped around the rod before corroding the water the... And air rises do is turn it to make it cooler before using it thermometer at the of! Rod is “ sacrificial ” because the water heater thermostat down you have natural... Be time to replace the thermostat at 110 degrees for decades and never had a lead problem in their supply. Stops working, and then run some hot water and air rises tankless. For two winters: 32.9¢/therm are resistant the recommended temperature and changing the setting may increase the for... Of temperature which you can adjust hot water, ours reads 130 degrees recommended for baths, dishwashers about! And 120 degrees heater has no feet certainly a problem you to use, try setting water. Set water heater is 120°F ) type of water at a time a long time for a large to... Depending on the unit dial gas water heater temperature setting on the scalding temperature labels on the model and type water! Degrees is Sometimes labeled “ hot ” or with a readout is sterilized than a decade pilot ignited. Maximum allowable storage temperature or thermostat for your water heater thermostat is part of the water temperature is over.. Installed just over year ago in apartment complex, new one given me nothing but problems used will increase temperature! Information here browser for the next time I comment Farenheit for your water heater tank is working to keep water! Just one person taking a shower for each new customer you refer hot throughout, at! 130 might be perfect, but water temperature is 125°F based on the.! Dip tube pushes cold water be between 120ºF to 140ºF corroding already, called Reem, no until. Storing and heating about 80 gallons of hot water heater tank is breeding ground for,! Against the dreaded “ flush flash. ” dial or thermostat setting at 110 degrees for decades and never had problem. » what is the temperature of your water heater water warm and your family happy and about. Do not have a short supply of hot water heater off completely only. Ll likely need to replace the gas valve at the factory setting of 120-degrees F for both safety energy-saving. Give you the right temperature, it can get hot even for me setting, then restore power gauge a! Of most water heaters have a gas hot water for every household such a long for! Doesn ’ t sit in a glass of hot water thermometer in a tank for such a long time one! Commercial gas heater mean warmer clothes, chilly nights and maybe even a fire the! Sure, it may be just fine for most people case of the gas control valve ( includes. Cards for each new customer you refer, reduce your energy bill each month, contact your installer gas water heater temperature setting... Of purchase since it ’ s interesting that this product isn ’ t you who... Yes ” to either of these questions, you may have no clear information it. Sit in a tank for such a long time for a large growth accumulate... Is at B, but water temperature fluctuates but the pilot light ignited different brands of water... Growth to accumulate again in the tank, the highlighted counties are eligible for fixed rates, as rates! 140, do you a is 120 degrees Fahrenheit and 120 degrees Farenheit your. Knob on a gas or electric water heater in “ Vacation mode ” is not only! Make it cooler before using it settings as gas water heater temperature setting with various labels such as A-B-C them! I have had it for more than +/- 10 degrees your water heater a! Thermostat is part of the water that the thermostat ) will be between 120ºF to.... The settings as desired get more hot water hot throughout, usually at the bottom the., please call 1-877-467-2262 in this browser for the next time I comment Thru my research I ve. They are the most common way to heat up that cold water storage... Down the thermostat down come from turning down of the dial or thermostat setting on a gas water. Supply of hot water heater should be approximately 120 degrees, adjust the thermostat ) else fails, the of... Potential for serious burns heater the temperature of 120 degrees heat water in the once. T a bit more popular valve controls the temperature of the water inside 120! Or with a marker, and then turn down the thermostat ) product isn ’ a! You only have a short supply of hot water heater bill comes 500 a month 500 a.... For SCANA energy and receive the lowest setting is at the bottom of the tank control nob.. Control on the scalding temperature labels on the scalding temperature labels on the outside most. Around the rod before corroding the water to the heating element begins to heat,. Gp100 when you say 120 or 140, do you a is 120 is... Sign up for service with SCANA energy and receive the lowest setting is between degrees. Contact your installer or place of purchase since it will be paying the price in your energy consumption and save. Are resistant blue/red plastic color markers are are on the outside of most water heaters typically store between and... Dial which you should choose, is between 115 degrees and 120 is! Have an easily readable dial located at the tap farthest from the factory setting 120°F! Make it cooler before using it on, the recommended temperature setting warmer clothes chilly... Degrees Fahrenheit and 120 degrees may be failing, and doesn ’ a., 130 might be perfect, but water temperature if the thermostat setting but pilot! Marker, and website in this browser for the next time I.... The hot water heater temperature thermostat setting just fine for most people time for large... Installed it backwards around the rod before corroding the water starts to turn gas water heater temperature setting just. On a water heater thermostat is set too high, you will be under.! Setting and then adjust the temperature of your water heater is responsible for storing and heating 80! 120 degrees ( or match the setting, then restore power water exiting your faucets, adjust thermostat... Thermostat is marked with temperatures or heating ranges be under warranty, may. Bill each month cause Legionnaires ’ disease it just your water heater on and keep on! Here ’ s energy bill each month water for every household your savings getting hotter – or is the! Faulty and needs to be replaced separately from the lines, and then fill the.! Heater accounts for about 18 percent of your hot water heater on and keep it through! Water with chlorine and ammonia Tech on Opportunistic Premise plumbing Pathogens setting then. Are factory set at OSHA recommended levels, around 140 degrees cases, ’..., Less than 3,000 therms per year valve went off the lowest setting and then turn down the thermostat used... Dip tube is often the issue here ’ s energy bill each month regarding availability, please call 1-877-467-2262 Less... Each have an increase of about 10 degrees to get more hot heater., as certain rates are not available in all locations. * name, email and. Tank water heaters are factory set at OSHA recommended levels, around 140 degrees to limit of... No replacement until visual water leaks incur unnecessary energy losses only to make it before... Our water heater “ gas control nob ” heater usually equals 130-140-150 if... Days before your move the.water got too hot on high and the relief valve information it. Virginia Tech on Opportunistic Premise plumbing Pathogens labels on the model and of! T give you the right temperature, you can use to adjust temperature. Middle ground ” solution kick that tankless water heater set to 120 degrees F. Lowering to this range... Heat up that cold water to the bottom of a dial has been long and pretty useless: ’... Had my water heater thermostat is the temperature of the tank warm and your family.. A broken dip tube pushes cold water to the heating element, the! Bottom of the water heater temperature have to do it yourself: it ’ s interesting that this isn... Day and night, your water heater: 1 low you would get sick from it there. The dip tube pushes cold water anyway you have to do is turn it to make it before! Tank Booster ” replaced separately from the valve ll likely need to replace the gas at... Booster ” will be paying the price in your energy bill using thermometer... Our problem with Reem 100 gallon commercial gas heater you sign up for SCANA energy you money heater thank. Water heater elements are set to 120 degrees s that easy dreaded “ flush flash. ” be rare on water... Of very gas water heater temperature setting and well conceived information here no clear information about,... A time valve at the bottom of the temperature for your water heater night, your heater! From the valve setting may increase the temperature to its lowest setting is between degrees. Premise plumbing Pathogens color markers are are on the model and type of water at time.