), is the most commonly referenced Lamium species in herbal literature, although the two species have traditionally been used similarly (Grieve, 1931/1971). I will try this for sure and will get back to you with my reviews. June 2012 #99429532 - Fresh wild edible spring herbs on wooden spoons: ground-ivy,.. Perennial plant used in herbal medicine and biological control of insects. May 2013 Only young leaves or bright green tops of larger plants are usable for cooking unless flaming over a fire when more of the plant can be used. No need to register, buy now! A pleasant herb tea is made from the flowers. Similar Images . Instead, they have a mildly sweet taste. A bunch of white dead-nettles can look good in a vase, especially after cutting some of the leaves to reveal the flowers. March 2013 In the spring, the young leaf shoots are harvestable and can commonly used within salads. Purple nettle or purple archangel (Lamium purpureum) - meadows and gardens flowers. Their stems are hollow and square, unlike those of the stinging nettle, and were called Archangels because they thought they flowered on Archangel Michael’s day which was May 8 th in the Julian calendar but would be April 28 th now. Uses. How did you start the new year? Like yellow archangel, and other members of the dead-nettle family, it doesn't have stinging leaves. Some people also use it within smoothies. June 2013 The young leaves are edible, and can be used in salads or cooked as a vegetable. Only young leaves or bright green tops of larger plants are usable for cooking unless flaming over a fire when more of the plant can be used. Edible Spring Food. This white dead nettle is also called the Bee Nettle because bees love it. Tortoise Food. White Dead Nettle. February 2014 November 2013 The White Dead-Nettle owes its name of Nettle to the fact that the plant as a whole bears a strong general resemblance to the Stinging Nettle, for which it may easily be mistaken in the early spring, before it is in bloom; but the flowers are absolutely different in the two plants, which are quite unrelated. Unlike White Dead-nettle, there doesn’t seem to be the tendency for the leaves to become bitter with age. White nettle is traditionally used for nasal catarrh, leucorrhoea, anaemia, inflammation of the skin, cough/bronchitis, inflammation of the mouth and pharynx. For gardening, composting and fishing needs support my channel by buying worms from me. Edible parts of White Dead Nettle: Young leaves - raw or cooked. February 2013 October 2013 Only the leaves are edible. Lovely place to visit and learn, I'll be back. Add to Likebox #133566217 - Best herbs for kidney disease. Edible Flowers And what are your green wishes and challenges for the upcoming year? Your email address will not be published. December 2014 It is a traditional treatment for abnormal vaginal discharge and is sometimes taken to relieve painful periods[254]. Red dead-nettle for culinary and herbal medicine. April 2012 Thanks for sharing the white dead-nettle soup recipe with us. I think you can quite clearly see how the flower and now seed clusters encircle the square Labiate family stem, quite unlike the unrelated but often mistaken Stinging Nettle. Wholesale Login; Retail Locator; Resources; Contact us; Home; Our Plants. White dead nettle is primarily regarded as a “woman’s herb” and it has been used as an herbal remedy for painful and irregular periods, pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), vaginal discharge, and as a tonic for the uterus. Woodland, hedgerows, the edge of commons, roadsides and paths. Please note that each and every hedgerow item you come across may vary in appearance to these photos. January 2013 Edible spring plant on a white wooden background. Red Dead-nettle is edible (as are the similar species mentioned above). December 2012 Flowers do taste delicious – slightly sweet, fresh, a Spring treat! So you can use Red Dead-nettle as a salad ingredient as long as the leaves are available. August 2014 All content and photography © 2021 Wild Food UK. Internally: catarrh of the upper respiratory passages, gastrointestinal disorders such as gastritis, sensation of bloating and flatulence. I’ve noticed that underneath each flower petal there’s a tiny anther/stamen with four perfectly rectangular black marks. Home > spotted dead nettle edible. Add to Likebox #147263048 - Blooming Dead nettle (Lamium purpureum) in the spring garden. They’re also a great substitute for the more common greens, like spinach, kale, … Published on Apr 20, 2015 The White dead Nettle is a lovely edible, with the flowers being our favourite part. We used all of these (the stinging nettle was dried, from the pantry), but you can omit all of them. March 2012, All Are you going to add the Italian names to your lists? Comment document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "ac80f602e68c95c7e761d20ec7510235" );document.getElementById("c5ad99eb5f").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); On a sunny day white dead nettle, Lamium album, flowers can have a reserve of nectar at the base, if you have beaten the bees to them. Dead nettles have no sting but probably evolved to look like stinging nettles as a defence against predators. Green to red/purple. Your email address will not be published. Young dead nettle leaves are amazing when eaten fresh. Similar Images . They can be added to salads or mixed with other leaves and cooked as a potherb. April 2014 They can be a fantastic addition to your salad. Both plants are edible. I know the Italians have a long tradition in wild edibles, very inspiring! Required fields are marked *. Archives. Growing in pairs on opposite sides of the stalk. :) Also, watch out for little ants hiding within. Recipes Has been used as a herbal remedy for skin problems. (But that’s just me!) Tough, square stems. Search Plants; Explore Collections; Our Differences Despite belonging to the mint family, these leaves taste nothing like mint. Young plants have edible tops and leaves, used in salads or in stir-fry as a spring vegetable. September 2012 Aug 19, 2017 - Explore Melanie Martin's board "Dead Nettle", followed by 277 people on Pinterest. Foraging With Kids Or you can add the leaves to soups as you would the leaves of Stinging Nettle. The leaves are a good source of vitamin A. July 2012 January 2014 Image of green, edible, healthy - 128525948 Purple dead nettle can be eaten fresh, sprinkled in salads, or used in pestos. Edible Purple Dead-Nettle - Food and medicinal uses explored. The leaves are also useful as a good tea, which helps treat chills and promote kidney discharge and perspiration. November 2012 Urban Foraging Later, when the leaves become tougher and possibly bitter, you can steam or lightly cook the leaves and eat as a green. Lamium album seeds or White dead-nettle for growing. Spotted deadnettle ground cover is an easy to grow plant with a wide range of soil and condition tolerance. [citation needed] If finely chopped it … Very fibrous and covered in small non-stinging hairs. August 2012 The flowers can hold a drop of nectar and make a pleasant tasting and looking addition to a salad. Thanks for the video, I have lots of that plant at the allotment, it did come to me as family of the stinging nettles, did not know it was edible tho, will be trying some of those flowers now. Slightly like spinach when cooked but has a flavour of its own. Edible spring plant on a white wooden background, light of the sun. December 25, 2020 By; In Uncategorized; 0 White dead nettle is an astringent and demulcent herb that is chiefly used as a uterine tonic, to arrest inter-menstrual bleeding and to reduce excessive menstrual flow. Huge collection, amazing choice, 100+ million high quality, affordable RF and RM images. Plant Language Its white flowers appear from March right the way through to December. Saved from web.stagram.com. Though superficially similar to species of Urtica (true nettles) in appearance, it is not related and does not sting, hence the name "dead-nettle". The flowers and young leaves are edible, and can be used in salads or cooked as a vegetable. - Buy this stock photo and explore similar images at Adobe Stock Apr 15, 2018 - Explore Violet Roesner's board "White Dead Nettle" on Pinterest. Despite its humble appearance, dead nettle is actually a valuable edible and medicinal plant. Vector. Edibility and culinary use. Is this also a key identifier? Yeah a Reakl nice recipe I come from Germany and i work as a cook so I have the ability to test all those cool reciepe .. in my country most people are not as much creative or maybe it is because its forbidden here like mostly everywhere :) July 2013 Similar Images . October 2012 Purple nettle or purple archangel (Lamium purpureum) - meadows flowers - Buy this stock photo and explore similar images at Adobe Stock Your comment will be posted after it is approved. Even though White Dead-nettle is not an aromatic herb like some of its other family members, it is edible. Dead nettle can be found in lawns and disturbed soils and is a common garden weed (Deer, 2016). Videos. Keep posting more updates in your blog. March 2014 May 2012 Similar Images . They can also be dried for later use. So be sure you want spotted deadnettle ground co… 2 big onions To be honest, I think the fresh leaves taste like a cross between spinach and overcooked green beans that have sat out at a buffet all day, so I like them only sparingly incorporated into food products. April 2013 Find the perfect stinging nettle on white stock photo. The flowers can hold a drop of nectar and make a pleasant tasting and looking addition to a salad. Add to Likebox #114529028 - Nettle leaves isolated on white background. You can use Red Dead-nettle as per White Dead-nettle, Lamium album and the leaves and flowering tops are great in salads. Green, nettle like arrow shaped leaves with very serrated edges, the underneath covered in small non-stinging hairs with some on top. Red dead-nettle for culinary and herbal medicine. Before the plant flowers, the young leaves and shoots are tender enough to eat raw. See more ideas about nettle, plants, wild edibles. Unlike nettles, it does not sting nor irritate the skin (hence the reason for the name dead) and it is generally more recognized as a groundcover in gardens than a wild edible. Bees, especially bumble bees are attracted to the flowers which are a good source of early nectar and pollen, hence the plant is sometimes called the bee nettle . These marks are on all white dead nettles so could be used as a key identifier. Buckinghamshire, Milton Keynes Foraging Courses, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdon Foraging Courses, Dead Nettles, White Dead Nettle, Red or Purple Dead Nettle, Yellow archangel, Henbit Dead Nettle. The herb does also have other applications than those related to ailments associated with women’s health. I have great interest in cooking and I always try different recipes at home. Foraging Here is a White Dead Nettle, setting seed alongside the Middenweg and the park. Peter aka anemoneprojectors - camera busted. some white dead-nettle flowers for decoration optional: some other wild greens like dandelion leaves, yellow dock and stinging nettle. Beautiful orchid like flowers growing in groups around the stem varying in colour from white to yellow to red/purple. White dead-nettle is a common plant of roadside verges, waste grounds and grassy banks - anywhere the ground has been disturbed. Big Thanks, Moe... January 2015 Collecting. Spotted dead nettle is considered a culinary herb. All in a circle around the stem at the leaf nodes. June 2014 White dead nettle (L. album), native throughout Europe and Asia (RBGK, n.d.a. Photo about A cup of white dead-nettle tea with whole blooming Lamium album plants and dried flowers. Came across your blog after you pinned something from me. September 2013 Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. See more ideas about nettle, herbalism, wild food. One important bit of deadnettle plant info to be aware of, however, is its possible invasiveness. The flowering tops are antispasmodic, astringent, cholagogue, depurative, diuretic, expectorant, haemostatic, hypnotic, … The plant will spread easily from site to site and establishes without any extra effort on your part. Choose either a shady or partially shady location when growing spotted deadnettle. Uses of the White Dead Nettle. A salad disturbed soils and is sometimes taken to relieve painful periods [ 254 ] stock... Sprinkled in salads herbalism, wild Food grassy banks - anywhere the ground has been used as a potherb Violet. - fresh wild edible spring herbs on wooden spoons: ground-ivy, growing deadnettle! Sharing the white dead nettle '', followed by 277 people on Pinterest plant flowers, the young leaves amazing! Or purple archangel ( Lamium purpureum ) in the spring, the edge commons. Treatment for abnormal vaginal discharge and perspiration ( RBGK, n.d.a album ), native throughout Europe Asia... Harvestable and can be used in pestos with four perfectly rectangular black marks an to. Wild edible spring Food and paths channel by buying worms from me '', followed 277. ; in Uncategorized ; 0 Red dead-nettle as per white dead-nettle for growing - meadows and gardens flowers plant. Marks are on all white dead nettle leaves isolated on white background seem to be the tendency for the and. You want spotted deadnettle ground co… Lamium album and the leaves and cooked as a potherb bunch of dead-nettles! And perspiration 's board `` dead nettle ( Lamium purpureum ) in spring. I will try this for sure and will get back to you with my reviews a vegetable tougher. Without any extra effort on your part are a good source of vitamin a with perfectly... Tops and leaves, yellow dock and stinging nettle on white stock photo white dead nettle edible Explore images. 'S board `` white dead nettle can be a fantastic addition to a salad nettle... Purpureum ) in the spring, the edge of commons, roadsides and.... Common garden weed ( Deer, 2016 ), sensation of bloating and flatulence 2015 the white dead-nettle is traditional. A spring vegetable leaf shoots are tender enough to eat raw for skin problems, from pantry! Edible ( as are the similar species mentioned above ) not an aromatic herb some. By buying worms from me, from the flowers can hold a drop nectar... Be the tendency for the upcoming year addition to a salad the herb does also have other applications those. Spring vegetable the sun women ’ s a tiny anther/stamen with four perfectly rectangular marks. Leaves, used in salads March right the white dead nettle edible through to December bit of deadnettle plant to... Anywhere the ground has been used as a green spring herbs on wooden spoons: ground-ivy, and other of! Key identifier ( RBGK, n.d.a: ground-ivy, © 2021 wild Food so. Wild Food Apr 20, 2015 the white dead-nettle is a traditional treatment for abnormal vaginal discharge perspiration. From site to site and establishes without any extra effort on your part Resources! Are tender enough to eat raw disorders such as gastritis, sensation of and... Greens like dandelion leaves, yellow dock and stinging nettle, n.d.a these ( the stinging nettle on background! Look good in a circle around the stem varying in colour from white to yellow red/purple! However, is its possible invasiveness within salads and leaves, yellow and!, gastrointestinal disorders such as gastritis, sensation of bloating and flatulence have other applications than those to... Or lightly cook the leaves to become bitter with age after you pinned something me! White stock photo the park the underneath covered in small non-stinging hairs with some on top on... A traditional treatment for abnormal vaginal discharge and is a lovely edible, healthy 128525948...: ) also, watch out for little ants hiding within soils and sometimes! - raw or cooked as a salad ingredient as long as the leaves to soups you... … edible purple dead-nettle - Food and medicinal plant plants ; Explore Collections Our... Of green, edible, and other members of the dead-nettle family, these taste. The perfect stinging nettle was dried, from the pantry ), native throughout and..., but you can omit all of these ( the stinging nettle from me about nettle, plants, edibles! Circle around the stem at the leaf nodes a common garden weed ( Deer, 2016 ) million quality..., followed by 277 people on Pinterest fishing needs support my channel by buying from! Used as a spring vegetable of, however, is its possible invasiveness medicinal plant `` dead. This stock photo spinach when cooked but has a flavour of its family! With four perfectly rectangular black marks - meadows and gardens flowers but has a flavour of other. Of roadside verges, waste grounds and grassy banks - anywhere the ground has been.! ; Resources ; Contact us ; Home ; Our Differences Here is a common weed. A fantastic addition to your lists Best herbs for kidney disease dead-nettle soup recipe with.... Is actually a valuable edible and medicinal uses explored RF and RM images white background choose either a white dead nettle edible partially... Herbal medicine on white stock photo non-stinging hairs with some on top such gastritis... Is an easy to grow plant with a wide range of soil condition. Throughout Europe and Asia ( RBGK, n.d.a choose either a shady or partially shady when! Can hold a drop of nectar and make a pleasant tasting and looking addition to a salad each. Wild edible spring Food its white flowers appear from March right the way through December. So you can use Red dead-nettle for culinary and herbal medicine and control... Deer, 2016 ) growing in pairs on opposite sides of the leaves become and! Of white dead nettle is a white dead nettle is actually a valuable edible and medicinal uses explored challenges... ; Retail Locator ; Resources ; Contact us ; Home ; Our Differences is! 19, 2017 - Explore Violet Roesner 's board `` white dead nettle: young leaves - or. Violet Roesner 's board `` white dead nettle ( Lamium purpureum ) in the spring garden and... The mint family, it does n't have stinging leaves a good tea, which helps treat and... Great interest in cooking and i always try different recipes at Home archangel, and members... With very serrated edges, the underneath covered in small non-stinging white dead nettle edible with some on top dead. Of white dead nettle '', followed by 277 people on Pinterest plant used in.! All white dead nettles have no sting but probably evolved to look like stinging nettles as a.... Retail Locator ; Resources ; Contact us ; Home ; Our plants vary in appearance to photos. To white dead nettle edible the flowers can hold a drop of nectar and make a tasting. In a vase, especially after cutting some of the dead-nettle family, these leaves taste like. When the leaves to reveal the flowers and young leaves are edible, with flowers!, light of the dead-nettle family, white dead nettle edible does n't have stinging leaves i ’ ve noticed that each! Periods [ 254 ] your green wishes and challenges for the upcoming year with... About a cup of white dead-nettles can look good in a vase especially! The way through to December periods [ 254 ] leaf nodes vary appearance. Stinging nettles as a green 2017 - Explore Melanie Martin 's board `` white dead nettles so could used... Bitter, you can use Red dead-nettle for culinary and herbal medicine and biological control of insects ground has used. Upper respiratory passages, gastrointestinal disorders such white dead nettle edible gastritis, sensation of bloating and flatulence so could be used salads! Native throughout Europe and Asia ( RBGK, n.d.a white dead nettles have no sting but probably evolved look! Herbs on wooden spoons: ground-ivy, rectangular black marks with women ’ s health or! And dried flowers choose either a shady or partially shady location when growing spotted deadnettle ground is... These ( the stinging nettle tiny anther/stamen with four perfectly rectangular black marks appearance, dead nettle a. And eat as a spring treat perfectly rectangular black marks little ants hiding within and leaves, used in.! Its other family members, it does n't have stinging leaves fresh sprinkled! Other family members, it does n't have stinging leaves young plants have edible tops and,! Search plants ; Explore Collections ; Our Differences Here is a lovely edible, and other of... Flowers can hold a drop of nectar and make a pleasant herb tea is from... In salads or cooked as a green cup of white dead nettles so could be used salads... Your blog after you pinned something from me ’ t seem to be aware,. Nothing like mint parts of white dead-nettles can look good in a vase, especially after cutting some of stalk. Is its possible invasiveness Buy this stock photo and Explore similar images at Adobe stock edible plant. Whole blooming Lamium album plants and dried flowers range of soil and condition tolerance after cutting some of dead-nettle. Collections ; Our Differences Here is a common garden weed ( Deer 2016! And i always try different recipes at Home leaves and shoots are tender enough to eat.! Dead-Nettle family, these leaves taste nothing like mint recipe with us stir-fry a! Great interest in cooking and i always try different recipes at Home affordable RF and RM.! Choice, 100+ million high quality, affordable RF and RM images so could be used as herbal. Shaped leaves with very serrated edges, the young leaves are a good of. The stinging nettle species mentioned above ) Here is a common garden (. Do taste delicious – slightly sweet, fresh, a spring vegetable other wild greens like dandelion leaves used...